There is a way out.
Abuse is never acceptable.
It is never your fault.
But you can do something to change your situation. You can get help for yourself and
your children. The impact of witnessing domestic abuse can be devastating for children.
The effects of abuse can be lifelong.
There are many barriers to leaving an abusive situation:
YOU DESERVE TO BE VIOLENCE FREE.
- Lack of safe housing alternatives
- Limited access to financial resources
- Isolation from support systems including friends, family, or community resources
- Concern for personal safety and the safety of loved ones
- Cultural beliefs that challenge one's right to leave
- Fear when seeking help of experiencing racism, homophobia, ageism or other
discrimination based on physical ability, nationality, or immigration status
- Feeling hopeless